Shrimp Rellenos with Red Bell Pepper Sauce
- 8 large Poblano chilies
- 8 ounces peeled, deveined cooked shrimp, coarsely chopped
- â…” cup soft fresh goat cheese (about 4 ounces), room temperature
- ½ cup packed grated Panela cheese or Monterey Jack cheese
- ¼ cup chopped red bell pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped shallot
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- Red Bell Pepper Sauce (see recipe in sauces)
- Fresh basil leaves for garnish
1. Char Poblano chilies over gas flame or in broiler until blackened on all sides. Enclose in a paper bag for 10 minutes. Peel chilies. Using small sharp knife, carefully slit chilies open along 1 side. Remove seeds, leaving stems attached.
2. Mix shrimp and next 6 ingredients in medium bowl. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Fill chilies with shrimp mixture, dividing equally. Pull up sides of chilies to enclose filling. Place stuffed chilies on baking sheet. (Can be prepared 1 day ahead. Cover and refrigerate.)
3. Preheat oven to 350°. Bake chilies uncovered until heated through and cheeses melt, about 15 minutes. Spoon 3 tablespoons Red Bell Pepper Sauce onto each of 8 plates. Place 1 stuffed chili atop sauce on each. Garnish with basil leaves, if desired, and serve.