Seared Scallops with Lemon-Thyme Grits
- ½ cup olive oil
- ¼ cup balsamic vinegar
- ½ cup chopped pitted Kalamata olives or other brine-cured black olives
- ¼ cup chopped peeled shallots
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1 cup quick-cooking hominy grits
- 1 teaspoon (packed) finely grated lemon peel
- 24 sea scallops
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1. Whisk olive oil and vinegar in small bowl to blend. Whisk in olives and shallots. Season vinaigrette to taste with salt and pepper. (Can be prepared 1 day ahead. Cover and chill. Bring to room temperature and rewhisk before serving.)
2. Bring broth and thyme to boil in heavy large saucepan. Gradually whisk in grits. Reduce heat and continue cooking grits until thick and creamy, stirring often, about 8 minutes. Stir in lemon peel. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Cover to keep warm.
3. Sprinkle scallops with salt and pepper. Heat 2 tablespoons vegetable oil in heavy large skillet over medium-high heat. Working in batches, add scallops to pan and sauté until golden and opaque in center, about 3 minutes.
4. Spoon ½ cup grits onto center of each of 6 plates. Arrange scallops around grits. Drizzle vinaigrette over scallops.